This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

super macro mod

When I tried the new ringflash adapter for the 100mm macro, I noticed that the very closed subjects are not well illuminated, especially when there was something tiny in the middle of the frame. It's probably due to the narrow beam of light coming out at the end of the fibers (I have to check the correct angle). So I decided to modify a bit the adapter to tilt a bit the fibers towards the center. I added foam stripes with a velcro and attached to the ring (hairy part of the velcro stripe fixed to the ring) leaving a bit of space also for the fiber stripes. Sounds confusing but the pictures below will explain it better:


Now, the fibers are looking more to the centre:
I had not so much time to test the rig, but it seems to work quite well. Some pictures below (iso200, f16-18)







2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great invention.

    Where did you get the fibers from?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tobias,

    I ordered the fibers from here:

    http://thefiberopticstore.com/

    ReplyDelete